Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fishing With Jig Heads

There are a number of choices for anglers when it comes to terminal tackle. While some of these options might seem rather straight forward and simple, others look rather detailed and intricate. Of course, all of these options can end up costing you an arm and a leg; however, what I suggest to as far as my fishing tackle tips for my inshore readers is a simple jig head.

Jig heads are usually crafted out of either lead, bismuth or other metal that is considered a non-pollutant to the environment. You can choose your jig heads from a number of different sizes, colors and shapes. I tend to prefer my sizes to be anywhere in between one eighth of an ounce to three fourths of an ounce. For my hook sizes, I stay with anything between a one and 5/0.

Keep in mind that when selecting your fishing gear, it is possible for a smaller hook to catch a surprisingly large fish. That being said, I tend choose the size of my hooks according to how deep the water is as well as how fast I need my lure to sink. If you are fishing in shallow water, you will want to select the lightest jig that you can, particularly if you use a grub tail.

In depths that are mid-range, determine how deep you want your lure to go as well as how authentic you want it to look as it drops. This likely will take some experimentation on your part until you determine where it is that the fish are holding.

Speed of the water may also play an important factor in choosing your jig as well. If the current happens to be rather strong, you may need to use a heavier jig. I usually try to fish across from the current so that my jig can follow it accordingly while also sinking simultaneously. The more subtle the current you are dealing with is, the lighter your jig should be.

You must also have an idea of what kind of fish you are trying to catch. Never use a 5/0 hook and jig if you are ultimately looking to catch a fish that won’t even be able to fit that in his mouth. Always remember that the size must also appropriately accommodate the species you are fishing for.

Choosing your size of jig should be a logical and simple decision. As long as you can picture how your lure will move throughout the water that you are fishing in, you must also account for the current and depth as well. Once you have this information, you will have the right jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment